Roasted pumpkin and spinach pie
White bean & capsicum salad
Home-made lamb and vegetable soup
Pasta with Roast Vegetables and Pecans
Whether you buy organic or conventionally grown produce, this pasta with roast vegetables and pecans is a delicious way to enjoy a variety of vegetables.
- 2 red onions, cut into eighths
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes
- 4 baby eggplant, sliced lengthways
- 10 Dutch carrots, peeled
- 4 cloves garlic, skin on
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100g pecan nuts, chopped
- 400g fettuccine
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
Per serve: 1340 kilojoules (320 calories). Protein 8g. Total fat 12g. Saturated fat 1g. Carbohydrate 41g. Total sugars 6g. Sodium 100mg. Potassium 480mg. Calcium 50mg. Iron 1.4mg. Fibre 6g.
- Place onions, tomatoes, eggplant, carrots and garlic in a large mixing bowl. Add oil and mix, lightly coating the vegetables with oil.
- Spread the vegetables on tray and bake in a moderate oven, 180°C, for 20 minutes.
- While the vegetables are roasting, spread pecan nuts on a tray and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Prepare fettuccine according to packet instructions.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice and salt. Remove vegetables from the oven and squeeze the garlic out of its skin into the oil mixture. Mash garlic with a fork.
- Add roasted vegetables and olive oil mixture to cooked pasta. Serve sprinkled with roasted pecan nuts and basil.
Tip: If you don't have baby eggplant or Dutch carrots, just use the regular variety. One medium eggplant and four regular carrots will substitute nicely.
Recipe prepared by the Sanitarium Nutrition Service. The Sanitarium Nutrition Service is a free community initiative. It is a team of qualified nutritionists and dietitians who work together to help people enjoy the benefits of healthy foods and a healthy lifestyle. For more information from Sanitarium please click here.