Roasted pumpkin and spinach pie
White bean & capsicum salad
Home-made lamb and vegetable soup
The Low GI Handbook Recipe Series: Part 7
To buy your copy of The Low GI Handbook go to Dymocks.
Soft layers of spinach, cheese and lasagne noodles with a luscious vegetable
sauce – this is a fabulous all-in-one pan meal that’s perfect for a cool evening.
Dipping the lasagne sheets briefly in hot water before use helps to soften them
prior to cooking.
PREPARATION TIME: 35 minutes COOKING TIME: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 1 bunch spinach, washed and stalks removed
- 200 g instant lasagne sheets
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese or low fat cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed, or 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 250 g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small green capsicum, chopped
- 140 g can/tub tomato paste
- 400 g can beans, any variety, rinsed and drained
- 400 g can tomatoes, undrained and mashed
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1 tablespoon poly- or monounsaturated margarine
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1.5 cups low fat milk
- half cup grated low fat cheese
- pinch ground nutmeg
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1. Blanch or lightly steam the spinach until
just wilted; drain well.
- 2. For the vegetable sauce, heat the oil in a
nonstick frying pan. Add the onions and
garlic and cook for about 5 minutes or
until soft. Add the mushrooms and
capsicum and cook for a further 3
minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the
tomato paste, beans, tomatoes and
herbs. Bring to the boil and simmer partly
covered for 15 to 20 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, for the cheese sauce, melt
the margarine in a saucepan or a
microwave bowl. Stir in the flour and
cook 1 minute, stirring (for 30 seconds
on high, in microwave).
- 4. Remove from the heat. Gradually add the
milk, stirring until smooth. Stir over
medium heat until the sauce boils and
thickens, or in microwave on high until
boiling, stirring occasionally. Remove
from the heat, stir in the cheese, nutmeg
- 5. To assemble, pour half the vegetable
sauce over the base of a lasagne pan
(about 16x28 cm). Cover with a layer of
lasagne sheets, then half the spinach.
Spread a thin layer of cheese sauce over
the spinach. Top with the remaining
vegetable sauce and remaining spinach.
Place over a layer of lasagne sheets and
finish with the remaining cheese sauce.
Sprinkle with Parmesan or cheddar
- 6. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in a
moderate oven (180C) for 40 minutes.
Remove foil and bake for a further 30
minutes or until the top is beginning to
Low GI Per serving (for 6):
kJ 1430 Carb 44 g Fat 10 g Fibre 9 g