Brought to you by Good Health & Medicine.
Scrub your way to radiant skin with Kate Lovelace's top-secret shower tips.
Taking a shower is something we do every day. But did you know there are smart ways to care for skin while giving yourself a clean? If your idea of the perfect wash involves lathering up under a super-hot shower, you could be doing your skin damage.
"I often warn patients about the perils of long, hot showers as they can dry out the skin," says dermatologist Dr JoAnn See. "The water can remove the skin's protective oil barrier, especially when one is all soaped-up."
I want smoother skin
Opt for a shower gel that contains zesty and uplifting fruit extracts. The fruit acids will make skin feel very silky.
- The Body Shop Pink Grapefruit Shower Gel, $12.95.
- Avado Sensitives Shower Gel in Tangerine and Vanilla, $9.98.
- Davies Gate Allspice Sugar Plum Soothing Shower Gel, $30.95.
- Apivita Aromatherapy Shower Gel with Bergamot and Green Tea, $29.90.
I want to combat dryness
If you suffer from dry skin, avoid soap and common-irritant ingredients, such as sulphates. Instead, choose creamy, hydrating shower gels and enjoy short, tepid showers.
- Ahava Mineral Botanic Velvet Cream Wash, $40.
- Laura Mercier Body and Bath Almond Coconut Milk Crème Body Wash, $55.
- Neutrogena Rainbath Deep Moisture Body Wash, $12.99.
- The Body Shop Spa Wisdom Tropical Oasis Shower Milk, $25.95.
Alternatively, rub body oil over your skin before showering. Dryness will vanish, leaving skin softer.
- Neutrogena Body Oil Light Sesame Formula, $12.99.
- Terra Firma Native Spearmint and Juniper Berry Invigorating Body Oil, $14.95.
- This Works: Energy Bank Bath and Shower Oil, $78.
I want to be time savvy
Multi-task and incorporate your beauty regimen into shower time. Here's how.
- Apply a face mask and leave it on while shaving your legs.
- Apply conditioner and leave it on while scrubbing your body.
- Preserve your blow-dry by not tying hair up. Instead, wear a terry towelling headband with a shower cap over it.
Did you know?
Adjusting the shower temperature from warm to cool combats cellulite and tones skin.
I want a sensational scent
Emerge from the shower with products enriched with heavenly scents.
- Elle Macpherson The Body Self Calming Sugar Scrub, $23.95.
- Cowshed Stroppy Cow Calming Bath and Massage Oil, $44.
- Decléor Paris Relaxing Shower and Bath Gel, $70.
I want a super scrub
Exfoliate once or twice a week to keep skin soft and supple. Choose a scented scrub to delight the senses.
- Premium Spa Lemon Butter Salt Body Scrub, $9.95.
- Apivita Aromatherapy Scrub Cream with Jasmine and Magnolia, $36.90.
- Daintree Tropical Pomegranate Revitalising Mineral Salt, $29.95.
- Jo Malone London Vitamin E Body Treatment Scrub, $160.