Secrets behind the world's healthiest diets
Kinesiology - the facts
Colonics: the lowdown
Light up your life
Alternative treatments for depression
Most people with depression try to manage their treatment themselves. Some common strategies like drinking alcohol or smoking cannabis are clearly unhelpful. Other people try alternative therapies or adjusting their life-cycle. Some activities like increased physical activity or attention to sleep patterns are clearly beneficial.
Alternative therapies for combatting depression that are backed by good evidence
- St John's Wort
- Physical exercise
- Self-help books involving cognitive behaviour therapy
- Light therapy (for winter depression)
Alternative therapies for combatting depression that are backed by some evidence
- Light therapy (for non-seasonal depression)
- Massage therapy
- Negative air ionisation (for winter depression)
- Relaxation therapy
- SAMe - an amino acid that's found naturally in cells.
- Folate (found in leafy green vegetables)
- Yoga breathing exercises
Alternative therapies for combatting depression that are backed by poor evidence
- Lemon balm
- Vervain - a herbal remedy
- Colour therapy
If you think you are depressed, it is a good idea to visit your GP for further help.